Sunday 21 March 2010

MGMT's New Song






My heart raced and my disco strings twanged when I heard MGMT were releasing new music. I've been waiting two solid years for this, and I'm still reeling from their unreal performance at Bestival last balmy summer. When I heard the latest offering however I was a little - if not A GREAT DEAL - underwhelmed. It's not that it's a terrible song, in fact - if they hadn't had so many incredible songs out previous to this it'd be perfectly fine.

The thing is, MGMT have always made me feel FREE, they provided the sound of summer hideaways in the woods and escapes with friends, glorious days spent talking rubbish in the park and having BBQ's at London Fields. Speaking to strangers and making new friends, looking at the sky and feeling happy to be young.

Their 2008 album 'Oracular Spectacular' provided the soundtrack to my very early 20's and I know I'm not the only one. I think what I'm trying to say is that their new one entitled 'Flash Delirium' just doesn't match up. I don't like to be rash, or make any harsh critical judgements - and normally I'm pretty open minded to change. I also know that bands HAVE to evolve. It's just that I'm not feeling the magic with this one.

They'll be playing Heaven in London soon anyhow, and I still want to go because I'm curious about what they've got up their neon sleeves. I'm also still a MASSIVE fan (don't get me wrong) I'm just a little surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment